Sympathy Thank You Messages: A funeral is always an emotional and incredibly difficult time. Having lost a loved one you are feeling dazed and crushed. But soon after a funeral, you might start to think about sending your funeral thank you cards.
When people have shown their support, be that through sending you a card or message of sympathy, flowers, or just being at the funeral, you will probably want to thank them.
But knowing what you say or write in your thank you notes can be hard. How do you express the appreciation you feel for the support shown during such a tough time.
If you’re struggling with your funeral thank you notes then this guide will show you what to write when to send them, and some useful wording examples amongst much more.
Hopefully, it will give you the confidence and any help that’s needed to make the process of sending sympathy thank you notes that much simpler.
Great Thank You Notes for Sympathy Messages
- Like the fragments of a patchwork quilt filled with memories of love and laughter, I am trying to stitch the pieces back together, one memory at a time. Thank you for your expression of sympathy and for helping me through the loss I have experienced.
- I want to thank you for comforting me with your kind words and consistent presence through this difficult time. Your support and friendship have allowed for some happiness to exist despite the overwhelming sadness I am feeling. I know that with the help you give, this dark time will pass.
- When I feel sad and tears begin to flow, I am reminded of the kind and wise words in your note. Thank you for the love you have shown me in recent days. It has helped me to look up and not down, forward, and not back.
- Without the kind words and the presence of friends and family, this loss would be too great a burden to bear. Your sympathy and support have immensely helped me. Thank you for your condolences on my loved one’s passing.
- My heart has been filled with deep sorrow, so I want to thank you for your comforting words. They helped me realize that I am not really going through this on my own. I also know that I need to be able to ask for help when I feel dark clouds of grief closing in.
- Like stepping stones forming beneath each fleeting good feeling, your condolences have encouraged me to move forward during this difficult time. Your words of sympathy help me feel the support of your friendship as I walk forward on my uncertain path. Thank you for showing me that you are there and that my life will continue to be full of love.
- I would like to thank you for the expression of sympathy you have shown to me during this difficult time of grief. Just as a sailor looks to the stars, you have helped navigate me out of the stormy seas, and I can see the sun rising on the horizon. Truly, I thank you.
- Life is fragile, and suddenly it can be over. I have many wonderful things to look back on, but memories do not bring someone back. That is why your message of support meant so much to me. You seemed to understand what grief is like, and it was a great comfort.
- In this time of grief and loss, we want to thank you for your comforting words. By sharing our sadness with others, we find that our hearts have a way of healing. Your friendship has strengthened our spirits and has allowed us to start to feel joy and happiness once again. Thank you for your support during our time of loss.
- I want to thank you for your sympathy and for being my pillar of strength during this sorrowful time. I look to you as my way out of the darkness and know that for every shadow I see, you are the light that guides my path to healing. Thank you.
- As the memory of my loved one overwhelms my thoughts, my sadness grows like ripples in a pond. Your words of sympathy bring me hope. They console my broken heart and quiet the stormy emotions inside my mind. I really can’t thank you enough for your support during this difficult time. You are a true friend.
- Loss has been eating at my heart, tearing a hole that feels all-consuming. Yet, from this dark place, seemingly devoid of all that is good, you are a twinkling light of hope. Your soothing words shone like stars in the night, brightening my spirit with the reminder of your friendship. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.
- I want to thank you for your much-needed support during this difficult time. Like a solitary candle on a windowsill, you have brought some light to me in this time of darkness. You have helped guide me from the cold to the warmth and comfort of your friendship.
- We have experienced a significant loss, and most days it seems as though life has stopped. Messages like yours are just what I need to remember one day, the pain of my loss will hurt a little less, and life will begin again. Thank you for your support during our time of loss.
- Your words were exactly what I needed to hear, so thank you for infusing me with hope for the future. It is not easy to deal with loss, but having people like you who pour love into my life is a great help.
- It has certainly been a difficult time for me recently. Thank you for your condolences and for understanding something of what I am going through. It helps significantly that you intentionally reached out to me at this sad time in my life.
- It was like taking a breath of fresh air when I read what you wrote to me at this difficult time in my life. My heart now aches a little less, knowing how much you care. You shed some beautiful light on a very dark moment. I want to thank you for that and for your condolences.
- Words cannot describe how much your kind words mean to me. During a time in my life that is filled with pain for our loved one’s passing, it provides me with great comfort. Thank you for your support during this difficult time.
- I appreciated the sentiments of care in your message. I was able to take time out to ponder your words and remember that right in the middle of this difficult time, you were there for me. Thank you for being so authentic and sincere.
- I have been struggling with getting out of bed every morning and trying to move on from all my grief. Thank you for your comforting words, as they were the awakening moment I so desperately needed to see. I now know that I must carry on and continue to breathe through all the good memories.
- You will never know how much it meant to me that you were able to share my sorrow. You supported me in the best possible way, and your message was just what I needed to hear. I could not have asked for a better friend to walk this heartache with.
- We have spent most days since the passing of our loved one feeling lost. The pain of our grief is still fresh, and it is hard to know just what to do with ourselves. The world outside carries on, even though someone we love dearly has left it forever. Thank you for your message. It means the world to us during this challenging time.
- There hasn’t been anything that makes me smile these days, and I’d lost hope that there ever would be again. But thanks to you, I was reminded of how much I miss the simple joys in life. I want to thank you for your support during my time of loss. It has been incredibly powerful.
- As I struggle to cope with the loss of someone so close to me, it is nice to know that there are people thinking of me. Every day the weight of my burden becomes a little lighter because of the support of people like you who care. Thank you for your kind words and condolences.
- Thank you for expressing condolences in your lovely message. I am coming to terms with the fact that life will never be quite the same, and it is comforting to know that you understand what I am going through. I appreciate knowing that you are there for me and are a true friend.
- Desperate to find a way out of this dark hole I have found myself in, I started to go through some of the sympathy cards I had received. Finding your words of comfort put the wind back in my sails, and I feel like I can breathe again. Thank you for your comforting words.
- I have so many memories flooding my mind and heart at this sad time. It is hard to control my emotions, but I suspect this is normal. It is a new experience for me, and so I greatly appreciated the message of sympathy you sent me.
- I could have never been prepared for the grief I experienced from my loss. The pain was like nothing I had ever felt before. But when I read your card, I could feel the warmth of your words hugging my heart. Thank you for reaching out to me during this time.
- Whenever I think of you, I remember your compassion and tenderness. Thank you for the heartfelt expression of sympathy you sent. I will always believe there is good in the world despite this hard time because of people like you.
- Reading your support during this difficult season made me realize that life is like a precious gift, and like all gifts, they one day disappear. I feel better now, knowing that my loved one was the best gift of all and that the memories will last forever. Thank you for comforting me.
- I needed a ray of light in this dark experience, and your kind note really cheered me up. It helps to know that I am thought of by others. I am sure that with friends like you, I will find my way back to a brighter day and a sense of normality in due time.
- I am finally able to write the final chapter and start getting closure on my loss. Your kind words have been so helpful in processing what I have been feeling. Each page I write has been therapeutic, and I am so incredibly thankful for having people like you in my life. Thank you.
- Amazingly, your note summed up all that I have been going through in my acute sense of grief. It helped me to read the comforting words and think of all the reasons I have to be thankful. One big reason is you, of course, and your kindness towards me.
- Thank you for encouraging me to take the time to process things. If I am ever tempted to feel down, I think of those who have been supportive. You help me regain my perspective, and knowing you are always there for me helps more than you can imagine.
- I found your note moving and supportive. Grief is such an individual experience, but I want to thank you for the way you have understood my feelings so well. I am sure the future will not always be as difficult as the present.
- Thank you for your message of condolences. No one can really explain how hard it is to lose someone you love. However, now I understand just how important friends and family are at times like these. This season of grief will eventually pass, and I have precious relationships that will continue to be a support in the future.
- When you lose someone, it leaves a big hole in your heart. That is what I am going through just now, but your sweet note helped enormously. It reminded me that time does heal, and I look forward to the day when this ache does not hurt quite as much.
- Thank you for your kind message and expression of support for me after my loss. I appreciate the way that you are sensitive to the painful blow it has on my life. It is a fact that my life has changed drastically, and so adjusting will be a challenge. I am grateful that you understand that so well.
- Right now, it seems as though the world has stood still for me. I know that everything is going on as normal, but I am frozen in a moment of time that has captured my heart in sorrow. Thank you for your tender words of comfort and reassurance that this will pass. It gives me hope.
- When a flood of emotions overwhelms me, I look to those who have been there in my time of need. You have demonstrated great loyalty and friendship in the way you have held my hand through this trial. Thank you so very much.
- Thank you for your support during our time of loss. You have been there for us every step of the way on this steep, rocky path. It feels as though we are making slow progress and still dealing with grief. However, we know you are there for us, and for that, we are grateful.
- When I cannot sleep, and sad thoughts fill my mind, I remember your message of sympathy and the genuine comfort it has given me. I am so glad you are in my life to help me process this sense of loss. I am looking forward to the morning when there will be more joy than sorrow.
- You are the best friend I could have asked for to help me get through this. You totally understand me and just accept me for who I am. Your constant support has been amazing. Thank you for comforting me and letting me take the time I need to heal from the pain of loss.
- Life can seem so unfair, and it is hard to understand why bad things happen. Thank you for your comforting words. I realize it is alright to express my grief to you since you completely understand.
- I have found that recent days have been quite an uphill battle. However, the friendship and support of those around me have made a big difference. Your kind note meant everything at a time I was struggling the most.
- Thank you for all the ways you have demonstrated care and concern for me. I know that I still face difficult days ahead, but I am getting stronger and have been greatly helped by your support and encouragement.
- The uplifting message you sent me has stuck with me and continued to comfort me throughout my day. For this, I must extend my warmest thanks. I have been drifting in a sea of sadness, and the sentiments you shared brought me a much-needed smile. Thank you for your expression of sympathy.
- Thank you for your support during my time of loss. As the weight of my dearly departed begins to bear down on my shoulders, wishes like yours grant me strength and lift my spirit. It is good to know that you support me, and the feelings you shared light up my path to happier days.
- During these times when the absence of my loved one rips at my heart, the intuitive understanding you expressed gives rise to renewed hope and healing. Thank you for comforting me, for turning grief into a glimpse of light, and for helping turn my heartache into happiness again. Joy is finding its way back, thanks to the support of special people like you.
- Like a beacon of hope blinking on the horizon, your healing words have helped to guide me through my time of sorrow. They helped me look towards tomorrow fondly, with brightly inspired optimism even though darkness surrounds me. Thank you for your condolences. This, I will always remember and treasure in my heart.
Thank You Messages for Funeral Donation
- Thank You for your sympathy donation. I will remain forever grateful to you for your support and kindness.
- Your help and gesture have helped us in this hard time in a way that words cannot express. Thank you for your generous donation.
- Thank you for showing your respect and helping us with the donation. It means a lot to us. We will always pray to the Lord for you.
- Thank you for your generous donation in honor of the departed soul. We appreciate your effort so much. Thanks for being such a supportive friend.
- Thank you for showing your kindness and support during this vulnerable time. We appreciate your help. May God bless you.
- Thank you for your contribution during our hard times. May God bless you throughout your life. We appreciate your kindness.
- Thank you so much for helping us with the donation. It has helped us a lot. I wish we can be there for you and your family as you are here for us.
Thank You Messages for Funeral Flowers
- Thank you for the beautiful flower arrangement that you sent, I am sure the departed soul would have been happy to get that.
- Even though you didn’t have to send the gorgeous flower bouquet thank you so much for remembering us in your thoughts and prayers.
- The flower bouquet looked gorgeous in the venue, I wish the dead could have witnessed such a beauty. Thank you for remembering the departed soul.
- The flowers you have sent brought light into our darkest time. Thank You, Those flowers were a great comfort to me and my family.
- We are so grateful to have a supportive friend like you in our lives. Thanks for sending the beautiful bouquet.
- The flower you sent in honor of the deceased soul looked so gorgeous. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it so much.
- Thank you for sending the beautiful bouquet and being there for us in this crucial period. We admire your efforts.
Funeral Thank You Wording
Whilst you can write your thank you cards any way you want, the following guide is a good template for how to construct a simple note of thanks:
- Start your thank you note by addressing the recipient – “Dear ______” is the standard greeting and works perfectly for a message of thanks
- Next thank them for their support, condolences, gift, or whatever way they were there for you. Something simple like “thanks so much for thinking of me during such a difficult time. Your words were really comforting when I need them most”
- Follow this with a thoughtful sentiment or few words about how they helped – “I will never forget your support and friendship”
- End your note or card by possibly saying thanks again or something like “All my love” before signing your name (handwritten rather than printed)
Your note doesn’t have to be anything particularly special but just ensure it acknowledges whatever it was the recipient did and offers your thanks.
Sample Thank You Notes for After a Funeral
The example thank you messages here are split into different categories – thank you for attending the funeral, for helping with it, for flowers, money/donations, and for condolences.
Thank You Wording for Attending the Funeral
When sending a note to someone who attended the funeral, be that family, friend, or acquaintance, make it clear you appreciated them being there and any effort it may have taken them to come.
Thank you so much for being at the funeral. It was really important to us for you to be there and we know it would have meant the world to [the deceased’s name].
We were so pleased you could make the funeral and even more so to hear the wonderful memories and stories you shared. To remember [deceased’s name] in such a heartwarming way was so appreciated by the entire family.
We were touched greatly have you attend [deceased’s name]’s funeral. He/she would have definitely wanted you there, without a doubt. Thank you for your support.
Your presence at [deceased’s name]’s funeral was greatly welcomed. We wanted all his/her friends to be there so it wouldn’t have been the same without you. Thank you for making the effort.
Thank You for Helping with the Funeral Notes
Thank those who help plan or arrange the funeral with these message examples.
Thank you for all your help with planning the funeral. We couldn’t have done it without you.
When you volunteered to help it took such a burden off of my shoulders. It made a huge difference and allowed for everything to go smoothly. I really appreciate the assistance, thank you so much.
The planning of the funeral was very stressful so having someone to take on some of the load was a relief. Thank you for all you did, I won’t forget it.
You made a really hard day that bit easier. Thank you for your help and support, it was truly appreciated.
FUNERAL THANK-YOU NOTES FOR SPECIFIC PEOPLE
- Thank you for your counsel and guidance during this time. Your wisdom and support were very much appreciated.
- Thank you for your thoughtful and meaningful words at the service for ___. You brought light and comfort to our family and friends during this very difficult time.
- Thank you for making ____’s celebration of life all it could be.
- Thank you for being a pallbearer for _____. You meant a great deal to him/her and your support was appreciated beyond words.
- Thank you for serving as a pallbearer. You are a very special person to our family and your help was sincerely appreciated.
- Thank you for serving as a pallbearer. You are a true friend and a good man. Having you there was a tremendous help to our family.
To Someone Special
- Thank you for being there for me during this incredibly difficult time. I don’t know what I would have done without your help, comfort, and calmness with all that needed to be done. You are truly a blessing.
- Thank you for the many ways you made a difference during the planning of ___’s funeral. With all the details that needed to be attended to, I appreciated your help beyond words.
- Although I’ll never be able to express how much you’ve meant to me during this difficult time, I will always remember how kind and helpful and comforting you’ve been. I am so lucky to have you in my life.
Thank You Notes After Funeral To Coworkers
Thank you note wording for coworkers who attended a funeral can be more general.
- It was good to see you at my dad’s funeral, even under adverse circumstances.
- Thank you for honoring me and my grandma by attending her funeral. I was pleased to see you.
- We may not know each other well, but your presence at my brother’s funeral showed me how lucky I am to work with someone as thoughtful as you.
- It filled my heart to have my work family join my home family at my husband’s funeral. Thank you for coming.
Thank them for sending flowers to the funeral room or even for helping you out with some cash. Funerals are a crucial time to bear with, and please don’t stress out about writing a sympathy thank you note for the funeral. It may sound difficult but it is easier than it may initially sound. The last thing you need to worry about on a sympathy thank you note is wording the perfect thank you note. Thank them from your heart and make it clear that their kind gesture moved you- that should be enough. Thank them for being there for you and tell them how their presence and memories were such a comfort.
Click here to follow us on Facebook for more.